The Well Women’s Deinfibulation Clinic offers a free, confidential service for women affected by female circumcision (FGM/C).
We offer support and education as well as the deinfibulation procedure for women requesting this and for whom it is appropriate in the outpatient setting.
The service is for non-pregnant and pregnant women.
We can provide an interpreter for the consultation, and patients can be supported by one of our Family & Reproductive Rights Education Program (FARREP) workers as well.
The service we provide is a confidential, comprehensive discussion on FGM/C providing information, and offering support around FGM/C. We also offer the deinfibulation procedure if requested and appropriate in the Outpatient setting.
- Pregnant and non-pregnant women who have been affected by female circumcision
- Women requesting information and support around FGM/C
- Women affected by FGM/C
- Health professionals with concerns regarding pap tests due to FGM/C
Women who have not been affected by female circumcision
Every second Friday morning from 9:00am – 12:00pm
Please ensure the woman realises that the deinfibulation procedure is not always able to be done in the Outpatient setting. There are still times when the woman will be referred to theatre.
Please call the nursing staff in WHIC
Appointment details will be sent directly to the patient and the GP if the GP has referred the woman.
- Female Genital Mutilation Guideline - PDF (111 KB)
- Minor operation - advice for going home (English) PDF (86 KB)
- Minor operation - advice for going home (Arabic) PDF (161 KB)
- Female circumcision - De-infibulation Clinic (English) PDF (93 KB)
- Female circumcision - Reversing your circumcision (English) PDF (101 KB)
- Female circumcision - De-infibulation Clinic: cream application (English) PDF (122 KB)