The Women's Ultrasound Service is a highly specialised Obstetric and Gynaecological ultrasound service offering.
Services include Amniocentesis, CVS, Fetal Blood Sampling, IUT procedures as well as gynaecological procedures including Cyst Aspiration and Saline Infusions. We do not offer routine pregnancy and gynaecological scanning.
The Women’s Ultrasound Service provides the following highly specialised services at a tertiary and quaternary level.
- Pregnancy screening for early pregnancy complications
- Down screening – diabetics and twins
- Abnormality scanning
- Growth scanning
- Tubal assessments
For a full range of scans and procedures please contact the Pauline Gandel Women's Imaging Centre.
Internal referrals only - all patients referred to the Women's Ultrasound for obstetric, gynaecological and genetics testing must have current Women's outpatient activity or be a current Women's inpatient.
External referrals - only accepted from rural and regional GPs and rural and regional health services when the need for tertiary care is suspected.
- GP referrals for routine Ultrasound
- Private patients cannot be referred to Ultrasound
- All rural and regional GP/health service referrals must be submitted to the Fast Fax Referral line for review by the Women's GP Liaison Office. These will then be submitted to the Women's Admissions Centre for determination of acceptance/access based on the Department of Health Access Policy guidelines
- Referrals for tertiary scanning or procedure from other health care providers such as regional hospitals must be remitted in writing and must authorise the Women's to seek reimbursement from that service for or all costs, including diagnostic tests & genetics tests, incurred by the Women's in the course of providing the requested service on behalf of that referring health organisation
The service operates Monday to Friday 8:30am - 5.30pm, with 24 hour on-call coverage.
Please provide as much detail as possible on presenting complaint, pre referral management, outcomes, investigations and results.
Referrals will be triaged and assessed for clinical urgency by the Clinical Supervisor of each ultrasound session.
Appointments will be offered based on clinical triage and availability of service.
This service can only accept:
- internal referrals from the Women's VACS outpatients clinics, inpatient ward and Women's Emergency Care
- external referrals from rural and regional GPs and health services when the need for tertiary care is suspected
Before any appointment can be made, the internal referral must be sighted and presented for triage.
For urgent referrals, please contact the Centre to discuss the referral.
For outpatient appointments, a letter containing appointment details will be sent directly to the patient. GP and private specialist referrals are not accepted directly by the Women's Ultrasound.
Pauline Gandel Women's Imaging Centre
Dr Nicole Woodrow
Clinical Director Ultrasound
Dr Andrew Dobrotwir
Clinical Director Radiology
Miss Kathleen Bowden
Operations Manager Imaging & Support Services
Mr Jason Geddes
Ms Gabrielle McGrath
Nurse Unit Manager
- Direct Line:(03) 8345 2250
- Fax:(03) 8345 2259
- Fax or email referrals
- Direct Line: