Breastfeeding - Sandringham Childbirth Education
Although breastfeeding is natural, it doesn't always come easily and is a learned art. Our classes aim to provide expectant parents with the knowledge and confidence to successfully breastfeed.
Please note: If you are attending the Midwifery classes on Saturday, Tuesday or Thursdays, you do not need to book into the additional breastfeeding class. The breastfeeding class is ideally suited to participants of the hypnobirthing program or as a refresher course.
The classes run by the Women's at Sandringham are designed to help prepare expectant parents for the days, weeks and months after your baby's birth. We address breastfeeding from the very first breastfeed within an hour of birth, through to maintaining your supply for your growing baby.
Classes are run by our registered midwives, and have been developed to incorporate the Breastfeeding friendly hospital initiative. This class would suit couples who attend hypnobirthing classes, mothers who have large age differences between children, or women looking for a refresher. Preparation is the key, and knowledge is power!
Topics covered in each class include:
- How breastfeeding works
- Establishing breastfeeding and the first feed
- Importance of skin-to-skin contact in the first hours and beyond
- Positioning and attachment (how to hold and attach your baby to the breast)
- Understanding your milk supply
- Discussion of what is 'normal' for a breastfed baby
- Where to get help
Classes generally run for three hours, including a refreshment break. Tea and Coffee is provided.
Should my partner come too?
Partners or significant others are most welcome to attend. Partners and family members are vital sources of support, if and when you face any challenges. It is ideal for people in this important support network to be on the same page, and understand how to best support the breastfeeding mother.
How to book
- Sign up to the Women’s at Sandringham booking site - If you create an account before you select your first workshop this will avoid having to add your details every time you make a booking.
- Go to the list of workshops on the booking site, select the workshop(s) you want and make your booking.