Imaging & scans
The Pauline Gandel Women's Imaging Centre is a 24 hour highly specialised service that provides radiology and ultrasound services to women and newborns to diagnose and treat health issues.
The Centre has the only magnetic resonance guided ultrasound (MRgFUS) technology, for the non-invasive treatment of fibroids, in an Australian public hospital.
Health issues treated
The Pauline Gandel Women's Imaging Centre diagnoses and/or treats multiple maternity and gynaecology issues. The Centre also assists in the diagnosis of fetal and newborn disorders.
What we do
The Pauline Gandel Women's Imaging Centre has two components:
- Radiology -a specialist field that uses X-rays and other high-energy radiation technologies, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computed tomography (CT) scans, bone densitometry scans, and mammograms.
- Ultrasound - provides pregnancy screening to detect pregnancy complications, fetal abnormalities, growth problems or Down’s syndrome, and also ultrasound-guided procedures for gynaecology and cancer patients.
Information for patients
The Women's radiology services provide:
- CT pelvimetry to assess if a woman can birth her baby by vaginal delivery
- Assistance with taking a biopsy of a breast lump
- Ultrasound or CT guided drainage of ascites for cancer patients
- Ultrasound guided removal of implanon contraceptive devices
- Bone density scanning and other services for any procedures performed in the operating theatres
- Bone density scanning of women to assess the increase of fracture risk due to osteoporosis.
The Women’s ultrasound services provide:
- Pregnancy screening for early pregnancy complications
- Down syndrome screening
- Scanning to detect if a foetus has structural abnormalities
- Scanning to detect if a foetus is growing
- Scanning to detect if a woman has internal structural issues that might be causing infertility
- Magnetic resonance imaging
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
MRI uses powerful magnetic fields and radio waves to create pictures of inside the body without using x-rays or radiation. MRI is used by doctors and specialists to look at the soft tissue of the body. MRI provides highly detailed images at different angles and can provide 3D pictures of some structures for diagnosis.
As well as more routine scans, the Women’s is able to perform:
- breast MRI
- pelvic and abdominal MRI
- neonatal MRI
- MRI for cancer
Our 3T MRI is considered one of the most cutting edge, sophisticated and powerful scanners available. Patients spend less time in the scanner and it is possible to see very tiny details and sub structures.
Magnetic Resonance Guided Ultrasound (MRgFUS)
This is a treatment that uses MRI and focused ultrasound to find fibroids and then to treat them. The technique allows specialists to look inside your body and to heat up and destroy unwanted tissue.
The treatment is not surgery; there are no incisions or cuts in your body. MRgFUS is done by a radiologist in the Pauline Gandel Women's Imaging Centre with an MRI technologist and nurse present. It is a non-invasive treatment aimed at reducing symptoms; such as abdominal pain and cramping, heavy menstrual bleeding, anaemia (a lack of red blood cells), distended stomach and constipation, all which can all be caused by uterine fibroids.
To use the service you will need a referral from your GP to the Women’s gynaecology clinics.
The specially trained doctors at the gynaecology clinic will check to make sure you are suitable for the treatment. The doctor will organise a screening MRI for you in the Pauline Gandel Women's Imaging Centre. Your private specialist can also request a screening MRI to assess suitability for treatment.
If you would like to ask a question about MRI at the Women’s or non-invasive treatment for uterine fibroids using MRgFUS, please phone the Pauline Gandel Women’s Imaging Centre.
You will need a referral from a doctor to come to the Pauline Gandel Imaging Centre. Referrals can be made by fax or email.
A GP cannot refer you to the Women’s for a routine pregnancy ultrasound
A GP can refer you to the Women's for some gynaecology ultrasounds but not others. Your GP will need to discuss your referral with our Centre staff.
What to bring
Pauline Gandel Women's Imaging Centre
- P:(03) 8345 2250
- Mon-Fri 8:30am–5:30pm
Pauline Gandel Imaging Centre
20 Flemington Road