The Women’s, Australia’s first public women’s hospital, was established in Melbourne in August 1856. It is among the oldest and most distinguished of women's hospitals in the world today.
Founded as a place where underprivileged women could give birth and receive proper medical and nursing attention, the original title of the hospital was the 'Melbourne Lying-In Hospital and Infirmary for Diseases of Women and Children'. The history of the Women's is the history of women's health in Australia.
The 'Lying-in Hospital' was first located in the two storey house (on the left of this photograph) at 41 Albert St, Eastern Hill.Learn more
Read about key events in the history of the Women's.Learn more
Mrs Frances Perry was instrumental in forming the Ladies’ Committee, that established the 'Lying-in Hospital'. Together with Drs Richard Tracy and John Maund, the Ladies' Committee founded what was to become the Women's.Learn more
Many dedicated volunteers, medical staff, nursing and midwifery staff, allied health staff, support staff, researchers and administrators have contributed to the growth and success of the Women's.Learn more
A vivid image of women’s health through the 19th and 20th centuries can be drawn from the hospital's patient records.Learn more
150 Years of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
An address given by Roger Pepperell, Emeritus Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Melbourne on the 150th Anniversary of the Women'sLearn more