Timeline 1900 to 1950

Key events - 1900 to 1950

1904

 

 

New operating theatre for the midwifery department built and equipped at the cost of £440.

1907

 

 

Midwifery assistance is provided to women in their own homes in co-operation with the Melbourne District Nursing Society.

1908

 

 

First pathological block completed.

1911

 

 1 March

Foundation stone laid for a new Infirmary Wing and Septic Ward.

13 December

A public meeting approves establishment of the Melbourne Lying-in Hospital. The appointment of the Committee of Management and honoraries is confirmed.

1912

 

December

Opening of a new Midwifery block.

1917

 

 

Ante-natal clinic established.

1919

 

 

A room is allocated to the Baby Health Centre Committee so they can conduct an infant care clinic for mothers.

Part of the old midwifery block is given over to the treatment of victims of the Spanish flu epidemic.

1925

 

 

Building additions including a new nurses’ home to accommodate 112 and another storey added to the midwifery wing.

Canteen for outpatients established.

Wireless installed in the hospital.

1927

 

 

New buildings including an infirmary wing (Sir Samuel Gillott Wing, corner of Grattan and Swanston Streets) and x-ray department.

1929

 

 

Creation of University of Melbourne Chair of Obstetrics.

March

Dr Richard Tracy performs the first successful ovariotomy – surgical removal of an ovarian tumour - in Victoria (at the time, only the second successful operation in Australia).

1930

 

 

Post-graduate class for nurses held: the first in Australia.

1934

 

 14 May

First Almoner (Social Worker) appointed following advice from the Inspector of Charities.

1935

 

 

100,004 babies born since the opening of the hospital.

Dr Arthur Hill’s ground-breaking work on Clostridium Welchii abortal infection.

7 November

Death of Dr Richard Tracy.

1937

 

26 April

Central Laundry commenced operations.

5 November

Opening of new Service Block by Lady Gowrie, wife of the Governor-General.

1939

 

23 February

Foundation stone laid for new Pathology Building by Lord Huntingfield, Governor of Victoria. The building was made possible by a donation of ₤30,000 from Sir Charles Connibere.

1941

 

26 August

Opening of a new Maternity Block named 'The Gertrude Kumm Wing'.

1943

Nursery kindergarten established for the convenience of mothers attending clinics.

Name changed to 'Women’s Hospital'.

1944

 

 

Testing for Rh factor extended to all antenatal patients.

Fertility and Sterility Clinic established.

1946

 

August

New X-ray diagnostic plant installed.

4 November

Blood transfusion service established.

32 babies born during the day - the highest number yet recorded.

1948

 

 

Appointment of first permanent Medical Superintendent, Dr William Refshauge.

1949

 

 

A humidicrib for transporting premature babies is designed and built at the hospital. This is located in the hospital's archives collection.

9 November

An operation is demonstrated to students and nurses by television. This is the first such demonstration of its kind in the southern hemisphere.

 

More key events

Share this page
One gift to the Women's will benefit many Make a donation today