Refereed research publications 2017
- Amir, LH. 2017. 'Recognising and managing mastitis – when are antibiotics needed? ', MedicineToday, 18: 53-56.
- Blandthorn, J., K. James, E. Bowman, Y. Bonomo, and L. H. Amir. 2017. 'Two Case Studies Illustrating a Shared Decision-Making Approach to Illicit Methamphetamine Use and Breastfeeding', Breastfeed Med, 12: 381-85.
- Cramer, R. L., H. L. McLachlan, T. Shafiei, L. H. Amir, M. Cullinane, R. Small, and D. A. Forster. 2017. 'Implementation and evaluation of community-based drop-in centres for breastfeeding support in Victoria, Australia', Int Breastfeed J, 12: 46.
- Forster, D. A., A. M. Moorhead, S. E. Jacobs, P. G. Davis, S. P. Walker, K. M. McEgan, G. F. Opie, S. M. Donath, L. Gold, C. McNamara, A. Aylward, C. East, R. Ford, and L. H. Amir. 2017. 'Advising women with diabetes in pregnancy to express breastmilk in late pregnancy (Diabetes and Antenatal Milk Expressing [DAME]): a multicentre, unblinded, randomised controlled trial', Lancet, 389: 2204-13.
- Halliday, J. L., E. Muggli, S. Lewis, E. J. Elliott, D. J. Amor, C. O'Leary, S. Donath, D. Forster, C. Nagle, J. M. Craig, and P. J. Anderson. 2017. 'Alcohol consumption in a general antenatal population and child neurodevelopment at 2 years', J Epidemiol Community Health, 71: 990-98.
- Hill, B., H. Bergmeier, S. McPhie, M. Fuller-Tyszkiewicz, H. Teede, D. Forster, B. E. Spiliotis, A. P. Hills, and H. Skouteris. 2017. 'Is parity a risk factor for excessive weight gain during pregnancy and postpartum weight retention? A systematic review and meta-analysis', Obes Rev, 18: 755-64.
- McLachlan, H. L., T. Shafiei, and D. A. Forster. 2017. 'Breastfeeding initiation for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women in Victoria: analysis of routinely collected population-based data', Women Birth, 30: 361-66.
- Muggli, E., H. Matthews, A. Penington, P. Claes, C. O'Leary, D. Forster, S. Donath, P. J. Anderson, S. Lewis, C. Nagle, J. M. Craig, S. M. White, E. J. Elliott, and J. Halliday. 2017. 'Association Between Prenatal Alcohol Exposure and Craniofacial Shape of Children at 12 Months of Age', JAMA Pediatr, 171: 771-80
De Bortoli J, Amir LH. Is onset of lactation delayed in women with diabetes in pregnancy? A systematic review. Diabet Med 2015 Jun 26. doi: 10.1111/dme.12846.
Forster D, Jacobs S, Amir L, Davis P, Walker S, McEgan K, Opie G, Donath S, Moorhead A, Ford R, McNamara C, Aylward A, Gold L. Safety and efficacy of antenatal milk expressing for women with diabetes in pregnancy: protocol for a randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open 2014; 4
Forster D. Changing attitudes. International Innovation, Health Partnership 2012;Dec.:82-4
Forster DA, Moorhead A, Jacobs S, Amir LH, Walker S, McEgan K, et al. Is not testing a major change in clinical practice an ethical dilemma? Midwifery [Invited Letter]. 2011;27(6):e301-e2. Available from: http://webstat.latrobe.edu.au/url/dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.midw.2010.03.003.
Forster D, Moorhead A, Jacobs S, Amir L, Walker S, McEgan K, Opie G, McNamara C, Ford R. Is not testing a major change in clinical practice an ethical dilemma? 2010 Elsevier Ltd. doi:10.1016/j.midw.2010.03.003
Forster D, McEgan Kerri, Ford R, Moorhead A, Opie G, Walker S, McNamara C. Diabetes and antenatal milk expressing: a pilot project to inform the development of a randomised controlled trial Midwifery(2009),doi:10.1016/j.midw.2009.05.009
Forster D, McLachlan H, Davey M-A, Amir L, Gold L, Small R, Mortenson K, Moorhead A, Grimes H, and McLardie-Hore F, Ringing Up about Breastfeeding: a randomised controlled trial exploring early telephone peer support for breastfeeding (RUBY) – trial protocol BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2014, 14:177 doi:10.1186/1471-2393-14-177
Johns H, Amir LH, McLachlan HL, Forster DA. Breast pump use amongst mothers of healthy term infants in Melbourne, Australia: a prospective cohort study. Midwifery. Accepted 18th October 2015.
Forster D, Johns H, McLachlan H, Moorhead A, McEgan K, Amir L. Feeding infants directly at the breast during the postpartum hospital stay is associated with increased breastfeeding at 6 months postpartum: a prospective cohort study. BMJ Open 2015; 5:e007512
Johns H, Forster D, Amir LH, McLachlan H. Prevalence and outcomes of breast milk expressing in women with healthy term infants: a systematic review. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2013; 13: 212
Johns H, Forster D, Amir L, Moorhead A, McEgan K, McLachlan H. Infant feeding practices in the first 24–48 h of life in healthy term infants. Acta Paediatrica 2013; 102(7):e315-e20
McLachlan H, Forster D, Davey MA, Lumley J, Farrell T, Oats J, Gold L, Waldenstrom U, Albers L and Biro M A. COSMOS: COmparing Standard Maternity care with One-to-one midwifery support: a randomised controlled trial BMC Pregnancy and childbirth 2008,8:25 http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2393/8/35
McLachlan H, Forster D, Davey M-A, Farrell T, Gold L, Biro M A, Albers L, Flood M, Oats J, and Waldenstrom U. Effects of continuity of care by a primary midwife (caseload midwifery) on caesarean section rates in women of low obstetric risk: the COSMOS randomised controlled trial BJOG An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2012
McLachlan HL, Forster DA, Davey MA, Farrell T, Flood M, Shafiei T, Waldenström U. The effect of primary midwife-led care on women's experience of childbirth: results from the COSMOS randomised controlled trial. BJOG 2015 (in press). Epub 2015 Oct 26
Dawson K, McLachlan HL, Newton MS, Forster DA. Implementing caseload midwifery: exploring the views of maternity managers in Australia - a national cross-sectional survey. Women Birth. Accepted 22nd October 2015. pii: S1871-5192(15)00330-3. doi: 10.1016/j.wombi.2015.10.010.
Newton, McLachlan HL, Willis K, Forster DA. Understanding the 'work' of caseload midwives: a mixed-methods exploration of two caseload midwifery models in Victoria, Australia. Women Birth. Accepted 27th October 2015.
Dawson K, Newton MS, Forster DA, McLachlan HL. Exploring midwifery students' views and experiences of caseload midwifery: a cross sectional survey conducted in Victoria, Australia. Midwifery 2015; 31: e7–e15.
Forster D, Newton M, McLachlan H, Willis K. Exploring implementation and sustainability of models of care: can theory help? BMC Public Health 2011, 11(Suppl 5):S8 http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/11/S5/S8
Newton M, McLachlan H, Willis K and Forster D, Comparing satisfaction and burnout between caseload and standard care midwives: findings from two cross-sectional surveys conducted in Victoria, Australia BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth (2014) http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2393/14/426
Davey M-A, McLachlan H, Forster D, Flood M. Influence of timing of admission in labour and management of labour on method of birth: results from a randomised controlled trial of caseload midwifery (COSMOS trial). Midwifery 2013;29(12):1297–302